Eddie has been engaged in a broad range of corporate and commercial work in Hong Kong and the Asia Pacific Region. He advises clients on acquisition of shares and businesses, private equity, structuring of companies and commercial documentation including shareholders’, financing, licensing, distribution, franchise and manufacturing arrangements. Eddie has also been advising on intellectual property protection including registration of trade marks and immigration matters.
On regulatory matters, he advises on onshore elements of offshore funds and on Securities and Futures Ordinance (SFO) requirements for commercial documentation.
Additionally, Eddie assists businesses to develop in the PRC, including arranging for the establishment of representative offices, wholly foreign-owned enterprises (WFOEs) and joint ventures.
- Advising a Hong Kong company in the aerospace industry on the investment of US$25 million by a U.S. listed company and the documentation arising from such transaction.
- Advising on the documentation for the sale by a private equity group of a Cayman Islands holding company with a WFOE subsidiary in China operating a software development business.
- Advising on the documentation and due diligence in respect of the purchase of a Hong Kong business that operates with a U.S. franchise.
- Conducting the due diligence in respect of the sale of a Hong Kong securities group business to a Japanese listed company.
- Advising on the acquisition and separately joint venture of renowned wine businesses.
- Sale of publicly listed shares valued at approximately HK$150 million
- Conducting due diligence and structuring investment of US$27 million
- Negotiating licensing arrangements to develop an international brand name in the PRC involving an anticipated investment of £20 million
- Advising on the corporate structuring and licensing arrangements of a world renowned architectural firm
- Advising on the sale of a designer company to a Singapore public listed company
- Establishing a wholly foreign-owned enterprise in the PRC in co-ordination with PRC law firm
Eddie has given seminars to Chambers of Commerce and other organisations on:
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Family Offices in Hong Kong and China
- Establishing Business in Hong Kong and Associated Employment Visa Issues
- Trading in China
- Shareholders’ Rights and Disputes
- Contracts with China Enterprises
2020 Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes: Eddie Look, Tim Drew and Edmond Leung jointly lead the Corporate and Commercial team, which is well-known among local businesses operating in the mid-tier segment of the Hong Kong market.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 notes: Eddie Look is regularly engaged by clients for a range of corporate and private equity work, including share buy-backs, share capital restructuring and joint venture advice. One client enthuses that he is “always patient and trustworthy.”
2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes: Under the joint leadership of Eddie Look and Tim Drew, there has been a significant uptick in mandates, and the practice has been further buoyed by the recent arrival of Pádraig Walsh from Bird & Bird.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 notes: Eddie Look offers a broad range of expertise in corporate transactions and private equity work, advising on M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. He is highly rated by a range of international companies with operations in Hong Kong.
Eddie is highly regarded in the 2018 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Eddie (Band 2 Leading Lawyer) is singled out by market sources, who rate him for his broad corporate work and his experience in advising an impressive range of corporates. A client notes: “He is able to put himself in my shoes and advise in terms of what I need,” and further explains: “He has the client’s interest as a priority and that is also valuable to me.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes: Eddie recently assisted Bumps to Babes with its sale to Baioo Family Interactive. He maintains a loyal client base, one source enthusing that he “effected a great deal for us” and that they would “use him again with no hesitation.”
Eddie is ranked as a Leading Individual in Chambers and Partners Global 2016 where he is commended for his “hands-on approach” in assisting international players on Hong Kong mandates. Recent work highlights include assisting Equiom in acquiring a majority stake in AFP Global.
Eddie and his team are commended in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 for delivering a ‘very client-oriented service’; they provide ‘excellent business and industry knowledge’, and ‘concise and to-the-point advice’.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 notes that Eddie Look wins praise from clients who comment: “we are always confident that he will be very reactive, provide good advice, and communicate with us very well“.
Eddie is listed as a Leading Lawyer for Corporate/M&A in the 2015 Edition of Asialaw Leading Lawyers.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 notes: “Eddie Look advises listed companies and private equity clients on M&A transactions. One interviewee states: ‘Not only is he good at advising on legal aspects, he also sees clearly through any traps in the whole puzzle of an agreement and further understands the commercial side in negotiations.’”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2014 notes: “…Eddie Look, Tim Drew and Edmond Leung now form the senior team with plenty of experience in mid-cap deals for local and international corporates and investment funds.”
- McGill Alumni Association
- The Law Society of Hong Kong