Eddie has been a partner since 2009 and is now head of the Corporate and Commercial practice at Tanner De Witt. Eddie is recognised as a leading lawyer by a number of publications for his legal work in Asia winning praise for his handling of cross-border M&A, private equity transactions and joint ventures. Eddie is also head of our non-contentious Wills, Probate and Trusts and Immigration practice areas, where he works closely with high-net-worth individuals and families. An impressed client reports in Chambers Asia Pacific 2021: “He listened carefully and patiently and gave a detailed, yet easy to comprehend analysis and solution. I have no hesitation to recommend him”.
Eddie has been engaged in a broad range of corporate and commercial work in Hong Kong and the Asia Pacific Region for more than twenty years. He advises clients on mergers and acquisition of shares and businesses, private equity, structuring of companies and commercial documentation including shareholders’, financing, licensing, distribution, franchise and manufacturing arrangements. His work on major deals firmly places him amongst the leading practitioners in Hong Kong.
Eddie’s private client practice includes advising on estate planning, wills and probate and the establishment of trusts. Eddie also has considerable experience advising businesses and individuals on Immigration Ordinance-related issues and has been advising on intellectual property protection including registration of trademarks as it pertains to clients’ business needs.
Corporate and Commercial
- Acted in relation to the sale of the Borrelli Walsh group, a leading provider of restructuring, insolvency and forensic accounting services in Hong Kong. Advice included reviewing and negotiating an extensive sale and purchase agreement involving multiple entities and office arrangements and multi-dimensional ancillary arrangements for senior personnel.
- Acted on the purchase of the Marks & Spencer retail business in Hong Kong, conducted all relevant due diligence and advising on the documentation from a Hong Kong law standpoint.
- Acted for a major French fashion brand in its negotiations and purchase of the joint venture partner’s shares of its operations in China, Hong Kong and Macau.
- Advised an affiliation of globally active venture capital and private equity firms with an operating track record of more than 30 years to structure their China fund management platform by introducing an entirely new shareholding structure to permit separation of income streams and control.
- Advised a French client on its strategic alliance with a chain of large French department stores to provide sourcing and trading services to the chain in Hong Kong and mainland China.
- Acted for the seller of Bumps to Babes, one of Hong Kong’s largest mother and baby superstores, in its acquisition. The transaction involved part consideration of cash and part share swap. This was a strategic acquisition for both the buyer and the seller because part of the consideration was swapped into a China entity which our client bought into.
- Advised a global aircraft services giant on the acquisition by a strategic partner of a majority interest as part of the company’s China expansion strategy. Despite the fact that this was a complex cross border matter involving the US, Hong Kong, Australia and Sweden, all relevant documents in respect of the acquisition were completed within one week.
- Acted for a private equity-backed manufacturer and distributor of essential chemicals in their acquisition of a majority interest in a Hong Kong-based company as part of its Asian expansion plans.
- Acted as lead counsel for a leading provider of waste management services based in the United States in the sale of its Hong Kong subsidiary. Advice included seller’s due diligence, the negotiating of sale and purchase agreements, PRC liability evaluation and coordination of the completion.
- Advising well-known French company on a structured exit from its 50% interest in a PRC joint venture. This exit has involved extensive negotiations on the sharing/use of patents developed by the JV, with some fundamental rights owned by our client.
Wills, Probate and Trusts
- Advising a member of a high-net-worth family office in respect of his membership and directorship of the family group’s charity companies.
- Advising a well-known European private bank on the Hong Kong law aspects of a mortgage loan granted to a Hong Kong family trust for the acquisition of property in the UK.
- Acting for the trustee on obligations and duties in a contentious family trust, which was initially set up for the benefit for the settlor’s wife and children.
- Assisting and advising a corporate trustee in establishing its trust business including drafting implementation documents.
- Acting for the administrators, children of the deceased, in applying for a grant of letters of administration to the estate consisting assets in the Philippines, France and Hong Kong with Will annexed which was prepared by a French notary public.
- Acting for executrices named in the latest Will of the deceased in a contentious probate matter, which concerned a family with significant share interest in a Hong Kong listed company.
- Assisting individuals on naturalisation in Hong Kong including professional athletes.
- Advising clients on various immigration matters including Hong Kong visa applications, immigration law advice and immigration investigation and prosecution.
- Assisting employers to obtain employment visas for their employees in Hong Kong.
- Assisting individuals in setting up their businesses in Hong Kong and obtaining investment visas. Advice includes preparing the application forms and other necessary supporting documents such as business plan, company documents etc. and submitting the application to the Immigration Department on your behalf.
- Advising on establishment and appeal of dependants’ visas, extension of stay and prolonged visitors’ visas.
- Assisting Hong Kong residents on permanent residency applications and retention of permanent residency status.
Chambers and Partners 2023 states, “Eddie not only has vast experience of corporate transactions in Hong Kong, but also has a deep understanding of our business.” And, “He is easy to communicate with and very willing to help.”
Legal 500 2023 notes, ‘River Stone who heads the China desk, Edmond Leung (corporate/M&A) and Eddie Look are the key practitioners in the team. They’re always very approachable and responsive and give very practical and commercially savvy advice.’
Chambers Greater China 2022 notes: ‘Eddie Look is an extremely knowledgeable and commercial lawyer. He communicates in a very clear and concise manner, highlighting issues to be considered and their repercussions’.
2021 Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes: ‘Eddie Look is a lawyer with very well-balanced commercial knowledge and awareness, he is highly efficient and readily available’.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 notes: ‘Eddie Look wins praise for his handling of cross-border M&A, private equity transactions and joint ventures. An impressed client reports: “He listened carefully and patiently and gave a detailed, yet easy to comprehend analysis and solution. I have no hesitation to recommend him.”
2020 Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes: Eddie Look, Tim Drew and Edmond Leung jointly lead the Corporate and Commercial team, which is well-known among local businesses operating in the mid-tier segment of the Hong Kong market.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 notes: Eddie Look is regularly engaged by clients for a range of corporate and private equity work, including share buy-backs, share capital restructuring and joint venture advice. One client enthuses that he is “always patient and trustworthy.”
2019 Legal 500 Asia Pacific notes: Under the joint leadership of Eddie Look and Tim Drew, there has been a significant uptick in mandates, and the practice has been further buoyed by the recent arrival of Pádraig Walsh from Bird & Bird.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 notes: Eddie Look offers a broad range of expertise in corporate transactions and private equity work, advising on M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. He is highly rated by a range of international companies with operations in Hong Kong.
Eddie is highly regarded in the 2018 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Eddie (Band 2 Leading Lawyer) is singled out by market sources, who rate him for his broad corporate work and his experience in advising an impressive range of corporates. A client notes: “He is able to put himself in my shoes and advise in terms of what I need,” and further explains: “He has the client’s interest as a priority and that is also valuable to me”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes: Eddie recently assisted Bumps to Babes with its sale to Baioo Family Interactive. He maintains a loyal client base, one source enthusing that he “effected a great deal for us” and that they would “use him again with no hesitation.”
Eddie is ranked as a Leading Individual in Chambers and Partners Global 2016 where he is commended for his “hands-on approach” in assisting international players on Hong Kong mandates. Recent work highlights include assisting Equiom in acquiring a majority stake in AFP Global.
Eddie and his team are commended in Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016 for delivering a ‘very client-oriented service’; they provide ‘excellent business and industry knowledge’, and ‘concise and to-the-point advice’.
- International Bar Association
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- McGill Alumni Association