Jeff Lane conducts a strong commercial litigation practice with a focus on domestic and multi-jurisdictional financial fraud disputes and asset tracing and is Hong Kong’s go-to specialist in the growing area of cyber fraud.
Jeff has practiced in Hong Kong for thirty years and is the sole Hong Kong representative of FraudNet, the international network of specialist fraud practitioners established by the International Chamber of Commerce, which is recognised by Chambers and Partners. FraudNet is an international network of independent lawyers who are the leading civil asset recovery specialists in each country.
Jeff has significant experience of inquiries by Hong Kong’s Securities and Future Commission (SFC), Independent Commission Against Corruption (ICAC) and Commercial Crime Bureau (CCB). Jeff regularly deals with Insider Dealing Tribunal matters. Jeff also conducts arbitrations and mediation.
Jeff is the sole Hong Kong representative recognised in the list of Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders (2019, 2018 and 2017 Editions) for Asset Recovery and highly ranked by other legal publications (see Testimonials tab above).
Recent instructions include:
- Instructed by the liquidators of an Irish bank in a multi-jurisdictional tracing and recovery exercise seeking recovery of EUR2.5 billion through proceedings in Ireland, Russia, India, Switzerland, Dubai and Hong Kong;
- Instructed by Grant MacEwan University in tracing and recovery of CA $11.8 million misappropriated through cyber fraud through action in Hong Kong and Canada;
- Assisted liquidators of a UK technology company in recovery of £35 million due to HMRC through obtaining injunctions and disclosure orders in aid of overseas proceedings;
- Acted on behalf of a major Hong Kong-listed telecoms company in investigating a HK$ 17 million employee fraud;
- Obtained injunctions over the defendants’ accounts and a series of disclosure orders to facilitate the tracing and freezing of assets. Thereafter negotiated settlement terms for recovery of monies through sales of assets;
- Assisting Russian clients in recovery of approximately US$17million paid to facilitate the release from Russian prison of a Russian businessman. Action to date includes two levels of disclosure orders and one of Mareva Injunctions;
- Acted for client involved in an alleged fraud made in trading high value artwork to the value of approximately US$2bn;
- Multi million dollar recovery of funds embezzled by three former employees of a German company internationally operating in the plant and engineering sector;
- Acted for Swedish-based listed company in multi million dollar internet identify theft fraud with proceeds laundered in Hong Kong and China;
- Acted for business owner involved in a boiler room fraud worth US$4 million.
Jeff regularly speaks at domestic and international conferences and has written a number of published articles regarding dispute resolution, fraud and asset tracing.
Jeff is also a contributing author to the Hong Kong Civil Procedure and the FraudNet International Fraud Compendium.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide 2019 notes: Jeff Lane is recommended as ‘a fantastic practitioner, who gives clear and commercial advice on complex issues, and, most importantly, achieves results’.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 notes: Jeff Lane has substantial expertise in cyber fraud matters and regularly assists clients with asset tracing and recovery. Commentators note his good reputation in this area and consider him to be “a safe pair of hands.”
Jeff Lane is listed as a Market-leading Lawyer for Dispute Resolution & Litigation by the 2018 Edition of Asialaw Leading Lawyers.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Jeff regularly assists clients with domestic and cross-border financial fraud disputes and asset tracing matters. He is also sought out for his expertise in issues relating to cyber fraud. Interviewees describe him as “a pretty impressive litigator” who “responds to requests very quickly.“
Jeff Lane is praised for ‘not shying away from the difficult-to-hear facts’ in Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide 2018.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes: Jeff Lane has a flourishing practice representing high-profile clients in complex litigation in the Hong Kong market. Sources acknowledge his established credentials, describing him as a “hardcore and serious litigator.”
Jeff is the sole Hong Kong representative recognised in the list of Who’s Who Legal: Thought Leaders (2019, 2018 and 2017 Editions) for Asset Recovery.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2017 notes: Jeff Lane is ‘a true market leader in fraud and asset recovery claims, with tremendous experience and local knowledge’. Lane is defending Yves Bouvier against a Russian billionaire accusing the client of defrauding him out of $500m. The 2016 Edition notes: “Jeff Lane is ‘an outstanding disputes lawyer’.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2017 notes: Jeff Lane acted for Swiss businessman and art dealer Yves Bouvier in setting aside injunctions in Hong Kong in relation to the allegation of secret profit made in trading high value artwork. “Jeff Lane has a strategic approach and asset recovery expertise,” says a client. “Jeff has good legal knowledge, the ability to put a strong case in court and he’s very professional,” says a client. Jeff is listed as a Market-leading lawyer in this publication.
Chambers and Partners 2015 notes: “Jeffrey Lane … has extensive experience of working in Hong Kong and is noted for his strong capabilities in fraud and asset recovery.”
Who’s Who Legal 2015 notes: Jeff Lane is recognised as one of the “Most Highly Regarded Individuals” Asset Recovery practitioners in the Asia-Pacific region. Jeff Lane is listed as a Leading Lawyer for Dispute Resolution in the 2015 Edition of Asialaw Leading Lawyers.
Benchmark Asia-Pacific 2013 notes: Jeff Lane is “… an outstanding litigator who blends his strong knowledge of the law with a healthy dose of creativity and tactical manoeuvring. He ensures his client’s interests are not only protected but that their expectations are well managed.”
- The Law Society of Hong Kong Civil Litigation Committee
- ESSAR Claims Committee
- FraudNet (sole Hong Kong representative; international network of specialist fraud and leading civil asset recovery specialists established by the International Chamber of Commerce)
Jeff has served as a member of the Civil Justice Reform, Anti-Money Laundering, Civil Litigation and Employment Law committees for the Law Society of Hong Kong.