Jeff Lane conducts a strong commercial litigation practice with a focus on domestic and multi-jurisdictional financial fraud disputes and asset tracing. Jeff is Hong Kong’s go-to legal professional in the growing area of cyber fraud handling an impressive caseload of cross-border disputes every year.
Jeff has practiced in Hong Kong for more than thirty years. He is the sole Hong Kong representative of globally recognised and highly-ranked lawyer network FraudNet. FraudNet is an international network of specialist fraud practitioners established by the International Chamber of Commerce in 2004. This network combined with Jeff’s long-standing relationships with international banks in Asia allows for an extremely high success rate of recovery of client funds.
Jeff is the sole Hong Kong representative recognised in the list of Who’s Who Legal: Global Thought Leaders (2020, 2019, 2018 and 2017 Editions) for Asset Recovery and is highly ranked by other legal publications (see Testimonials tab above). Jeff is recognised as a leading lawyer for Litigation in the 2020 Edition of Chambers Asia Pacific.
Recent instructions include:
- Conduct of an unusual and complicated action in retrover and detinue, successfully recovered a high value stolen watch which was discovered on sale at well-known auction house Sotheby’s following a burglary at the client’s home in England.
- Through a series of injunctions and disclosure orders, successfully traced and secured US$2.5 million of monies which were stolen from a speciality US law firm which had been the victim of identity fraud.
- Instructed by the liquidators of an Irish bank in a multi-jurisdictional tracing and recovery exercise seeking recovery of EUR2.5 billion through proceedings in Ireland, Russia, India, Switzerland, Dubai and Hong Kong.
- Instructed by Grant MacEwan University in the tracing and recovery of CA $11.8 million misappropriated through cyber fraud through coordinated action in Hong Kong and Canada.
- Assisted liquidators of a UK technology company in recovery of £35 million due to HMRC through obtaining injunctions and disclosure orders in aid of overseas proceedings.
- Acted on behalf of a major Hong Kong-listed telecoms company in investigating a HK$ 17 million employee fraud.
- Assisting Russian clients in recovery of approximately US$17million paid to facilitate the release from Russian prison of a Russian businessman. Action to date includes two levels of disclosure orders and one of Mareva Injunctions.
- Represented Swiss client in coordinating his defence in secret commission fraud alleged to have been made in trading high value artwork through Monaco, Switzerland, Singapore and Hong Kong to the value of approximately US$2bn;
- Multi million dollar recovery of funds embezzled by three former employees of a German company internationally operating in the plant and engineering sector;
- Acted for Swedish-based listed company in multi million dollar internet identify theft fraud with proceeds laundered in Hong Kong and China;
- Acted for business owner involved in a boiler room fraud worth US$4 million.
Jeff regularly speaks at domestic and international conferences and has written a number of published articles regarding dispute resolution, fraud and asset tracing.
Jeff is also a contributing author to the Hong Kong Civil Procedure and the FraudNet International Fraud Compendium.
Who’s Who Legal Thought Leaders Global Elite 2020 says ‘Jeff Lane garners extensive praise as “an outstanding lawyer” from peers around the globe. He focuses on domestic and international financial fraud matters and asset tracing cases, with a particular niche in cyberfraud.’
Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide 2020 mentions Jeff Lane for work in cyber fraud and high-value commercial fraud matters.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 notes: Jeff Lane is an “Excellent litigator” and is “pragmatic, direct, understands all the issues and is very prompt in his responses,” according to one client. He is an experienced litigation practitioner, with a practice focus on handling cases related to fraud, asset tracing and recovery and cyber fraud.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide 2019 notes: Jeff Lane is recommended as ‘a fantastic practitioner, who gives clear and commercial advice on complex issues, and, most importantly, achieves results’.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 notes: Jeff Lane has substantial expertise in cyber fraud matters and regularly assists clients with asset tracing and recovery. Commentators note his good reputation in this area and consider him to be “a safe pair of hands.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Jeff regularly assists clients with domestic and cross-border financial fraud disputes and asset tracing matters. He is also sought out for his expertise in issues relating to cyber fraud. Interviewees describe him as “a pretty impressive litigator” who “responds to requests very quickly.“
Jeff Lane is praised for ‘not shying away from the difficult-to-hear facts’ in Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide 2018.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes: Jeff Lane has a flourishing practice representing high-profile clients in complex litigation in the Hong Kong market. Sources acknowledge his established credentials, describing him as a “hardcore and serious litigator.”
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2017 notes: Jeff Lane is ‘a true market leader in fraud and asset recovery claims, with tremendous experience and local knowledge’. The 2016 Edition notes: “Jeff Lane is ‘an outstanding disputes lawyer’.”
Asialaw Leading Lawyers 2017 notes: “Jeff Lane has a strategic approach and asset recovery expertise,” says a client. “Jeff has good legal knowledge, the ability to put a strong case in court and he’s very professional,” says a client. Jeff is listed as a Market-leading lawyer in this publication.
- FraudNet (sole Hong Kong representative; international network of specialist fraud and leading civil asset recovery specialists established by the International Chamber of Commerce)
- ThoughtLeaders4 Fraud, Insolvency, Restructuring, Enforcement (FIRE)
Jeff has served as a member of the Civil Justice Reform, Anti-Money Laundering, Civil Litigation and Employment Law committees for the Law Society of Hong Kong.