Pádraig’s practice focuses on venture capital and related corporate work. His work encompasses advice on private equity and debt financings, leading on investment negotiations and completion, and preparing documents to implement deal terms. He also advises on the range of common issues for emerging companies, such as corporate structuring, IP licensing, equity incentive plans, and shareholder disputes. He represents both investors, strategics, and founders.
With clients broadly within the technology sector, Pádraig has represented companies within specific verticals of fintech, insurtech, regtech, medtech, edutech, and cleantech. Pádraig’s practice also includes assisting clients on licensing, regulatory and compliance. His experience in this area has enabled him to advise clients on a number of innovative, complex fintech projects. He is at the forefront of advising on legal issues for emerging businesses using blockchain technology.
Pádraig is a mentor, and provides legal training programmes, for a number of accelerator programmes. He is also a regular speaker at various startup events and a blogger on the tech startup scene.
Finally Pádraig advises companies of all sizes on mergers and acquisitions, corporate restructurings, and joint ventures as well as on investment structures, and regulatory and governance issues for investments into a range of asset classes.
Pádraig is a Notary Public.
- Advised an IoT investor and accelerator programme on shareholder agreement among founding investors, and employee share option plan;
- Advised an online property brokerage platform on: (a) successive investment rounds; (b) the formation of its employee share option plan, and the grant of options under it; and (c) shareholder dispute and governance issues;
- Advised an online logistics platform on: (a) its seed investment round and Series A investment round; and (b) the formation of its employee share option plan;
- Advised a blockchain, ai driven insurtech consultancy business and platform on its employee share option plan, and corporate governance issues;
- Advised an innovative life sciences company on corporate structure, minority shareholder matters, and an investment round;
- Advised an online delivery solutions business on its pre-investment restructuring in Hong Kong and China, Series A investment round, and subsequent commercial arrangements.
Financial services & regulatory
Fund formation and regulated activities
- Advised an offshore investment fund on scope of permitted activities for offshore promotion to Hong Kong of Jersey property limited partnership, and drafted or advised on Hong Kong aspects of fund formation documents, including Limited Partnership Agreement, Deeds of Accession, and Adviser Agreement;
- Advised Hong Kong property business on the structuring of club investment arrangements, and drafted project documents.
- Advised a blockchain based platform on regulatory implications for intermediation in mid-tier private market capital raising;
- Advised an offshore inter-dealer brokerage on regulatory implications for marketing in Hong Kong of an electronic network communication network that provides an alternative trading system for broker-dealers to automatically trade equities listed in another territory.
Banking and trade finance
- Advised an online trade finance platform on licensing and regulatory implications of its business model, and drafted receivables financing documents adapted to use in an electronic operating environment;
- Advised an online currency conversion business on the procedures and regulatory requirements for obtaining authorisation as money service operator in Hong Kong;
- Advised an international bank on (a) regulatory requirements in respect of anti-money laundering guidelines of the HKMA; and (b) a range of general matters, including drafting internal legal and compliance manuals, drafting facility letters, loan documents, banking terms and conditions and other standard commercial banking documents, drafting trade finance documentation, and drafting and advising upon security documents (including guarantees, debentures, fixed and floating charges, charges over book debts and receivables, charges over shares, charges over deposits, trust receipts, pledges and liens).
- Advised a testing and certifications business on a series of acquisitions in Hong Kong and China;
- Advised a risk and security business on a cross-border transaction to acquire the diligence and risk management of operations in Libya, Iraq and Kurdistan, and business entities in Singapore, Dubai and Malta;
- Advised a third party administrator in the insurance sector on: (a) its joint venture for provision of medical assistance services in China; (b) a proposed acquisition of the majority of the share capital of a Hong Kong insurance brokerage with operations in mainland China; and (c) its acquisition of a regional third party administrator and brokerage with operating subsidiaries in Hong Kong, Singapore, China and Vietnam;
- Advised a private equity investor in the insurance sector on: (a) the offshore corporate structuring of its proposed investment and entry to China; (b) the permitted regulatory scope of activities in China; (c) the registration of its business presence in mainland China; (d) its acquisition of a brokerage in mainland China; and (e) the offshore structuring of an investment into an insurance brokerage in Thailand, with specific advice and support on the management incentivisation programme.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017 notes: “Pádraig Walsh … provides ‘straightforward advice’ and ‘inspires confidence’.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2014 notes: “He is a really exceptional lawyer. He looked at everything from our perspective, and provided us with solutions – not advice.“
Chambers Asia Pacific 2012 notes: “Clients describe Pádraig as ‘a great communicator who is able to explain and distil complicated information in a very clear manner. He is also pragmatic and understands that his advice needs to take into account our business needs as well as the general business environment.’”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2011 notes: “Pádraig is helpful, approachable and fully capable of handling complex matters in a detail-oriented manner.“
- The Law Society of Hong Kong