Troy has considerable regional insolvency and restructuring, insurance and general disputes experience having worked with top tier and international firms in Australia prior to joining Tanner De Witt over three years ago.
He has acted for liquidators, administrators and receivers in Hong Kong and Australia; and has broad experience advising on all aspects of winding-up proceedings, enforcement of security, on-going management and trading of businesses, asset marketing and sale, claims against and on behalf of the distressed estate (both litigation and commercial work-outs).
Troy’s experience includes acting in (1) banking and finance litigation (enforcement and sale of security, appointments, due diligence for lending / asset acquisition, regulatory investigations and prosecutions); (2) insurance (advising insurers and insureds on the term and effect of various types of policies including professional indemnity, D&O, product liability and business interruption); (3) class actions (collapse of collective investment schemes); and (4) regulatory and compliance investigations and prosecutions (Securities and Futures Commission, Hong Kong; Hong Kong Monetary Authority; Australian Securities & Investments Commission; Hong Kong Confederation of Insurance Brokers; Privacy Commission for Personal Data, Hong Kong; Inland Revenue Department, Hong Kong, Labour Department, Hong Kong).
His industry experience covers agriculture, energy and resources, infrastructure and construction, real estate, finance, professional services (engineers, lawyers, accountants, doctors, property valuers, financial advisors), and retail and manufacturing.
Troy has appeared as an advocate in the Court of First Instance, Hong Kong, the Supreme Courts of New South Wales, Western Australia and Queensland, Australia.
Troy holds an LLB (Hons) from The University of Technology Sydney and a BSc in Psychology from The University of New South Wales in Australia.
experience and key cases
- Advising the liquidators (and directors of various group companies) on the commercial and litigious aspects of their appointment over a joint-venture oil and gas development and production asset in Indonesia
- Advising the liquidators of a regional electronics manufacturing and supply group regarding the competing secured claims from 3 major Asian banks, including successfully negotiating settlement
- Advising the Hong Kong subsidiary of a major Australian investment firm being investigated by the Securities and Futures Commission and the Labour Department
- Advising a major mining and engineering company in a dispute with a Japanese conglomerate regarding the fabrication and supply of power generators
- Advising the local and Caribbean based liquidators of a global electronics supplier who are claiming against the former management for fraud and conspiracy
- Restructuring and Insolvency Faculty (RIF)
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Law Council of Australia