Tim represents clients across a broad range of general corporate and commercial matters, including: mergers and acquisitions; business sales and purchases; joint ventures; investment and shareholders agreements; private placements; corporate reorganisations; due diligence investigations; agency and distribution; franchise and licensing; manufacturing and supply agreements; terms of business; and regulatory and compliance.
Tim also advises upon all aspects of employment from drafting contract documentation and share ownership/incentive schemes to handling work and investment visa applications. In particular, he has considerable experience in advising senior level executives and investment bankers on lateral moves.
Tim’s clients include multinational corporations, regional and locally based companies, small and medium-sized enterprises, start-up entities and entrepreneurs as well as accountancy and overseas law firms.
- Acting for the Hong Kong office of an international accounting firm in the sale of its business recovery division to a listed company.
- Acting for a German conglomerate in its US$10.1 million acquisition of a Hong Kong holding company holding a 55% equity interest in two PRC subsidiaries engaged in the business of the manufacture, processing and trading of textiles.
- Acting for the senior management of the Hong Kong subsidiary of a London-based executive search firm in the management buy-out of the Hong Kong company from its UK parent company.
- Acting for a South African-based global logistics group in its acquisition of a Hong Kong-based logistics group with subsidiaries in China, Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, the Netherlands and Spain.
- Acting for Hong Kong-based web-hosting company in its US$4.5million disposal of its Hong Kong-related business and assets to a US corporation.
- Acting for purchaser on its acquisition (through its Mauritian holding company) of a manufacturing facility in Dongguan, China, involved in the manufacture and supply of quality children’s clothing to the high-end retail sector in the UK.
- Acting for the vendors in the disposal of their shares in a group of companies (headquartered in Hong Kong, with subsidiaries in China, Vietnam and Indonesia) involved in quality control, inspection and testing of household goods to a Jersey-registered French-owned investment fund.
- Acting for a Hong Kong company in the disposal of its 50% interest in a Hong Kong joint venture involved in sewer, water and industrial pipeline rehabilitation to its Dutch joint-venture partner.
- Acting for the Hong Kong office of Horwath CPA, the international accounting firm, in the merger of its business and operations with BDO.
- Acting for a global communications group in the reorganisation of its subsidiary companies and businesses in Hong Kong.
- Acting for the Saatchi & Saatchi Group in Hong Kong on the merger/reorganisation of its businesses in Hong Kong.
- Acting for a Dutch multinational on its establishment of a joint venture in Hong Kong, establishment by the joint venture of a wholly foreign-owned enterprise in China and subsequent acquisition by the foreign-owned enterprise of the business and assets of its joint venture partner in China.
- Acting for a leading international provider of corporate and trust services on its acquisition of the entire share capital of a Hong Kong-based corporate secretarial and trust services group.
- Acting for an international insurance group on three substantial portfolio transfers of general insurance business as part of a regional group restructuring and subsequent merger of the Hong Kong business operations.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 notes: Tim Drew (Band 1 ranked lawyer) has attained a premier reputation for high-value corporate transactions, including M&A, joint ventures and corporate restructurings. He draws praise from clients for his responsiveness, with one stating: “He has strong experience and is always available and able to provide quick advice.”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Tim Drew is ‘responsive, experienced, pragmatic and client-friendly’.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Tim Drew is well known for advising local and international clients on commercial and corporate work, frequently instructed by German companies investing in the region. “I think he has a very sound judgement of commercial issues, he doesn’t over or under-engineer and he comes up with practical and commercial solutions,” one satisfied client notes, adding: “He is very experienced and you don’t have to wait much for an answer.“
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes that Tim is “hands-on,” has a “brilliant perspective” and gives “high-quality advice.” He deals with a variety of matters, including private equity, M&A and capital markets work.
Tim Drew is recommended in Asia Pacific Legal 500 2017.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2016 notes that Tim Drew has a ‘strong sense for the needs of the client’ and ‘sets the right tone in negotiations’.
Tim receives praise in Chambers Asia Pacific 2016 from clients for his “pragmatism and commerciality” in advising on the Hong Kong aspects of M&A across a range of industry sectors.
Tim is singled out by Chambers Asia Pacific 2015 as a lawyer who “is very hands-on, and always responds fast to queries.” He has wide-ranging experience in advising on general corporate and other transactional matters, and has notable recent experience of representing international and regional companies in their investments into Hong Kong.
Asia Pacific Legal 500 2014 notes: “…Eddie Look, Tim Drew and Edmond Leung now form the senior team with plenty of experience in mid-cap deals for local and international corporates and investment funds.”
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- The Law Society of England & Wales
- British Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Foreign Correspondents Club
- German Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Dutch Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Austrian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- International Bar Association