Richard is a Consultant in the Dispute Resolution Practice having joined the firm in 2021. He specialises in commercial disputes work for clients based in or involved in investment, project development and trading in Asia. Richard focuses on the effective and efficient resolution of a variety of such disputes, including litigation and arbitration, as well as applying alternative dispute resolution mechanisms to accelerate and optimise outcomes for his clients.
Richard has particular expertise in assisting clients in infrastructure and construction investment projects and assisting those clients with recovery strategies which often involve investigations and proceedings across multiple jurisdictions.
Richard graduated from King’s College London in 1988 and continued his studies there to secure an LL.M (with merit) in 1989. Richard has been based in Hong Kong since early 2000 and has previously been a partner at several international firms here. He is a solicitor qualified to practice in both Hong Kong and England & Wales as well as being an HKIAC & HKMAAL accredited mediator.
- Acted for a multinational insurance company in defending claims made against a performance bond linked to a regionally significant civic project in Hong Kong and providing advice and support in relation to related insolvency and arbitral proceedings in both Hong Kong and Bermuda.
- Advising and acting for Asian investors in relation to development issues concerning the completion of a significant residential development in Canary Wharf London and achieving satisfactory, early completion.
- Advising and acting in relation to recoveries and events of default under a bond issued to raise finance to develop two significant residential developments in Thailand.
- Advising and acting for Asian investors in relation to events of default under a bond issued to raise finances to develop a significant retail and commercial centre in the United Kingdom as well as identifying routes to recovery.
- Acted for a shareholder deprived of shares in BVI entity and enforcing that shareholders rights in cross border litigation.
- Acted for minority shareholder groups in relation to various actions, including winding up proceedings in the Cayman Islands, related to an infrastructure development in Vietnam.
- Acted for various lessors and mortgagors in enforcing claims against aircraft airframes and engines, both in Hong Kong and regionally.
- Acted in relation to a cargo damage claims in Hong Kong, variously contesting causation and advancing the effectiveness of limitation of liability conventions.
- Advised and acted for a UK based bank in relation to various commercial and regulatory Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysian matters and initiating recoveries against defaulting borrowers.
- Advised and acting in relation to a shareholders’ dispute in relation to a group of property investment companies, involving proceedings in Hong Kong and the UK.
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- The Law Society of England and Wales
- The Foreign Correspondents’ Club
- The Ladies’ Recreation Club
- The Oriental Club
Chambers & Partners 2023 quotes a client, “I have worked with Richard for many years. He and his team have never failed to solve any issues referred to him.” And another, “Working with Richard is a very good and interactive experience.”
Chambers & Partners Global 2021 notes his “swift solutions that make commercial sense,” with a client praising him for “giving the legal profession a humane side and providing a listening ear during stressful times.”