Richard is a Consultant in our Dispute Resolution practice. A dual-qualified lawyer in Hong Kong and England and Wales, he has established his reputation in Hong Kong as a commercial litigator and mediator with international firms over the last twenty years.
Richard specialises in commercial, trading and investment dispute resolution both in Hong Kong and internationally. He frequently leads the resolution of complex multi-jurisdictional commercial cases involving debt recovery, sale of goods, shareholder and joint venture issues.
Richard is an Accredited Mediator with the Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC) and an advocate for ADR. Richard read Law at King’s College London where he also completed a Master’s Degree in Law (LL.M) before then taking his Solicitors’ Final Examinations at the College of Law, Chancery Lane.
- Acting for a multinational insurance company in defending claims made against a performance bond and providing advice and support in relation to related insolvency and arbitral proceedings in both Hong Kong and Bermuda.
- Acting for an insurer in relation to substantial claims brought in relation to surety arrangements linked to a regionally significant civic project in Hong Kong.
- Acting for minority shareholder groups in relation to various actions, including winding up proceedings in the Cayman Islands, related to an infrastructure development in Vietnam.
- Acting for various lessors and mortgagors in enforcing claims against aircraft airframes and engines, both in Hong Kong and regionally.
- Acting in relation to a cargo damage claims in Hong Kong, variously contesting causation and advancing the effectiveness of limitation of liability conventions.
- Advising and acting for this UK based bank in relation to various commercial and regulatory Hong Kong, Singapore and Malaysian matters and initiating recoveries against defaulting borrowers.
- Advising and acting in relation to a shareholders’ dispute in relation to a group of property investment companies, involving proceedings in Hong Kong and the UK.
- Advising and acting in relation to a shareholders’ dispute involving proceedings in Cayman and in relation to “work out” outcomes, including the disposal of the minority interest.
- Advising and acting in relation to recoveries and events of default under a bond issued to raise finance to develop two significant residential developments in Thailand.
- Advising and representing the owner intending to dispose of various operating companies – in numerous jurisdictions.
- Advising and representing the purchaser of an Australian based nickel mine.
- Advising in relation to events of default and potential liabilities in relation to a distribution agreement.
- Advising in relation to events of default under a bond issued to raise finances to develop a significant retail and commercial centre in the United Kingdom as well as identifying routes to recovery.
- Advising in relation to the security arrangements linked to trading activities and the registration of guarantees with SAFE, PRC.
- Involvement in various disputes – pursuing debts due in India and Singapore and defending bank recovery actions in Hong Kong.
- International Bar Association
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- The Foreign Correspondents’ Club
- The Ladies’ Recreation Club
- The Oriental Club
Chambers & Partners Global 2021 notes his “swift solutions that make commercial sense,” with a client praising him for “giving the legal profession a humane side and providing a listening ear during stressful times.”