Mark is a senior associate in our Employment Practice having joined the firm in 2018. His practice involves advising employers and employees on different aspects of employment law regarding recruitment, termination, separation, post-termination restrictions, discrimination, harassment, drafting of handbooks and other HR related policies/documents and other labour disputes. Mark has experience in contentious employment law and litigation in the Labour Tribunal, the Court of First Instance and the Court of Appeal.
He has conducted a number of internal investigations by employers into potential misconduct and serious breaches of employment contracts by employees. He also assisted clients in relation to criminal investigations relating to employment related matters.
Mark Chiu read law at the University of Durham and completed his Postgraduate Certificates in Law at the University of Hong Kong. Prior to joining Tanner De Witt, he worked as an Assistant Legal Counsel at the Equal Opportunities Commission of Hong Kong, specialising in advising and representing discrimination/ harassment complainants with their claims under the Anti-Discrimination Ordinances.
He is fluent in English and Cantonese and can read both simplified and traditional Chinese.
- Assisted the plaintiff in successfully obtaining summary judgment in a landmark Court of Appeal case of Xu Yi Jun v GF Capital (Hong Kong) Ltd  HKCA 663 in relation to payment of a guaranteed bonus.
- Assisted a senior executive of a multinational equity fund in successfully striking out claim in the High Court brought by his employer seeking relief to assist in Cayman Islands proceedings.
- Assisted a leading brokerage company in successfully resisting application in the High Court for determination of questions of law or construction under Order 14A in relation to interpretation of a sign-on bonus clause in an employment contract.
- Assisted a leading insurance loss adjusting service provider in relation to proceedings in the High Court seeking a ‘springboard’ injunction and other relief relating to removal of confidential information after a team departure.
- Conducted internal investigations for sexual harassment complaints for an international financial institution and assisted in the successful conciliation of the complaints lodged with the Equal Opportunities Commission.
- Assisted in a large-scale due diligence process concerning Hong Kong employment issues.
- Assisted in advising a leading real estate company in revising employment contracts and other employment related policies.
- Assisted in advising a leading construction company in revising its bonus scheme for employees.
- Assisted a leading investment bank in revising restrictive covenants and template employment contracts of Hong Kong employees.
- Assisted in handling criminal investigations on employment-related matters by law enforcement and regulatory authorities.
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- Co-opted member of the Constitutional and Human Rights Affairs Committee of the Law Society of Hong Kong
- Member of the Working Party on Data Privacy and Records Management of the Law Society of Hong Kong