Corporate and Commercial Law Hong Kong
Tanner De Witt’s Corporate and Commercial practice deals with a wide range of non-contentious matters on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the personal and attentive service we offer to our clients, who include public and private companies, multinationals, partnerships and individuals involved in a wide range of activities, both within Hong Kong and internationally.
Our lawyers, many of whom have international law firm backgrounds, have between them, extensive experience in Hong Kong and Asia. Our understanding of the local business environment combined with our knowledge, experience and proven track record mean that we add real insight and value to the business decisions you face. We have broad experience of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, having acted for large multinationals, in addition to a sound knowledge of private-equity transactions.
We have built up a thorough working knowledge of PRC business entities and structures. In addition we have strong connections and working relationships with law firms in the PRC and most other jurisdictions, evidenced by the fact that we receive frequent referrals from well-known US, European and Asian law firms.
Lawyers in our Corporate and Commercial group have extensive experience in advising on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business sales and purchases
- Corporate reorganisations
- Joint ventures
- Investment and shareholders agreements
- Private Placements
- Private equity and venture capital transactions
- Due diligence
- Banking and finance
- Commercial arrangements and contracts
- Establishment of new companies and businesses
- PRC related commercial matters
- Intellectual Property protection and licensing
- Distributorship, agency and franchise arrangements
- Employment and immigration
Examples of our lawyers’ wide experience include:
- Acted for foodpanda in its acquisition of local food delivery service Dial-a-Dinner.
- Advised Equiom on the local aspects of its acquisition of AFP Global.
- Assisted the shareholders of MPayMe on the USD75 million sale of their interest in the company to Powa Technologies.
- Acting for John Brown Media Limited, the world’s leading content agency on its acquisition of a Hong Kong communications agency.
- Acting for Writer Corporation, India’s largest relocation company on its acquisition of a majority interest in a Hong Kong based relocation group (with subsidiaries in Singapore and Shanghai).
- Acting for one of the world’s largest inter-dealer brokerage firms on its proposed acquisition of a Hong Kong brokerage company.
- Acting for Hong Kong corporate services group on the disposal of its offshore wholesale corporate services business to UK based corporate services group.
- Acting for a large privately owned logistics group based in UK in connection with the establishment of a 50:50 joint venture with their long term trading partner in Hong Kong.
- Acting for the purchaser in connection with its acquisition of various trademarks and other intellectual property rights from the liquidators of a Hong Kong listed company. The trademarks and rights being acquired relate to an established global fashion brand.
- Acting for the founding shareholders on the disposal of their shares in an independent fixed income agency brokerage operating in Hong Kong and Singapore to a Hong Kong company.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
Independent Hong Kong firm Tanner De Witt has an impressive mix of multinational and Hong Kong-based clients. It benefits from an extensive referral work from overseas law firms and handles a range of corporate work that includes frequent advice on Hong Kong’s regulatory landscape. Tim Drew, Eddie Look and Edmond Leung are recommended.
Chambers and Partners Asia 2017
The Corporate and Commercial team covers a full range of corporate and commercial matters, including investments, joint ventures and M&A transactions. Remains part of a global referral network with elite law firms, frequently handling cross-border mandates.
The team remains steady with all three partners recognised as leading lawyers in Band 2.
“They are very swift, solution-oriented and they give hands-on advice.”
Eddie Look recently assisted Bumps to Babes with its sale to Baioo Family Interactive. He maintains a loyal client base, one source enthusing that he “effected a great deal for us” and that they would “use him again with no hesitation.”
Tim Drew is considered “hands-on,” has a “brilliant perspective” and gives “high-quality advice.” He deals with a variety of matters, including private equity, M&A and capital markets work.
Edmond Leung “gets work done very quickly and efficiently.” He is “very commercial – he doesn’t over-lawyer things. He is able to think about issues from our side and give us salient advice, but not just throw the book at it.”