Corporate and Commercial Law
Tanner De Witt’s Corporate and Commercial practice deals with a wide range of non-contentious matters on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the personal and attentive service we offer to our clients, who include public and private companies, multinationals, partnerships and individuals involved in a wide range of activities, both within Hong Kong and internationally.
Our lawyers, many of whom have international law firm backgrounds, have between them, extensive experience in Hong Kong and Asia. Our understanding of the local business environment combined with our knowledge, experience and proven track record means that we add real insight and value to the business decisions you face. We have broad experience of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, having acted for large multinationals, in addition to a sound knowledge of private equity transactions.
We have built up a thorough working knowledge of PRC business entities and structures. In addition, we have secure connections and working relationships with law firms in the PRC and most other jurisdictions, evidenced by the fact that we receive frequent referrals from well-known US, European and Asian law firms.
Lawyers in our Corporate and Commercial group have extensive experience in advising on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business sales and purchases
- Corporate reorganisations
- Joint ventures
- Investment and shareholders agreements
- Private Placements
- Private equity and venture capital transactions
- Due diligence
- Banking and finance
- Commercial arrangements and contracts
- Commercial leases and tenancy agreements
- Establishment of new companies and businesses
- PRC related commercial matters
- Intellectual Property protection and licensing
- Distributorship, agency and franchise arrangements
- Employment and immigration
Examples of our lawyers’ wide experience include:
- Acted for foodpanda in its acquisition of local food delivery service Dial-a-Dinner.
- Advised Equiom on the local aspects of its acquisition of AFP Global.
- Assisted the shareholders of MPayMe on the USD75 million sale of their interest in the company to Powa Technologies.
- Acting for John Brown Media Limited, the world’s leading content agency on its acquisition of a Hong Kong communications agency.
- Acting for Writer Corporation, India’s largest relocation company on its acquisition of a majority interest in a Hong Kong based relocation group (with subsidiaries in Singapore and Shanghai).
- Acting for one of the world’s largest inter-dealer brokerage firms on its proposed acquisition of a Hong Kong brokerage company.
- Acting for Hong Kong corporate services group on the disposal of its offshore wholesale corporate services business to UK based corporate services group.
- Acting for a large privately owned logistics group based in UK in connection with the establishment of a 50:50 joint venture with their long term trading partner in Hong Kong.
- Acting for the purchaser in connection with its acquisition of various trademarks and other intellectual property rights from the liquidators of a Hong Kong listed company. The trademarks and rights being acquired relate to an established global fashion brand.
- Acting for the founding shareholders on the disposal of their shares in an independent fixed income agency brokerage operating in Hong Kong and Singapore to a Hong Kong company.
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2020
Eddie Look, Tim Drew and Edmond Leung jointly lead the Corporate and Commercial team, which is well-known among local businesses operating in the mid-tier segment of the Hong Kong market. It also acts for a significant number of multinational household-name entities. The multifaceted practice covers M&A, joint ventures, reorganisations, licensing and franchising arrangements, private equity transactions, and regulatory compliance, among other matters. Pàdraig Walsh is particularly knowledgeable about various subsets of the technology sector, including fintech, biotech, insurtech, edutech and cleantech. River Stone and Jan Willem Möller (who is dual-qualified to practise in the Netherlands and Hong Kong) are also recommended.
Chambers and Partners Asia 2020
Covers the full range of corporate and commercial matters, including investments, joint ventures and M&A transactions. Remains part of a global referral network with elite law firms, frequently handling cross-border mandates. Strong in dealing with regulatory compliance work related to corporate transactions. Additionally able to assist clients on venture capital transactions.
The team remains steady with all three partners recognised as leading lawyers in Band 2.
Strengths: A client likes that the team “makes sure I am always well taken care of and that the advice given is always sound and well rounded, taking into account short and long-term consequences.”
Another market source asserts that the firm “delivers solid work and is reliably time and cost-conscious, with good commercial judgement and a responsive and friendly manner.”
Work highlights Advised Infra Asia Investment on the sale of its 50% stake in Deep C Green Energy to TEPCO Power Grid and subsequent joint venture agreement with TEPCO for the distribution, sale and retail of electricity in Haiphong, in Vietnam.
Eddie Look is regularly engaged by clients for a range of corporate and private equity work, including share buy-backs, share capital restructuring and joint venture advice. One client enthuses that he is “always patient and trustworthy.”
Tim Drew advises both corporates and private clients on acquisitions and sales, corporate structuring and joint ventures. One market source describes him as “a very experienced commercial all-rounder.”
Edmond Leung is active on cross-border M&A and private equity mandates, with a notable strength in the energy sector. His client roster includes investment funds, auction houses and private individuals.