Corporate and Commercial Law
Tanner De Witt’s Corporate and Commercial practice deals with a wide range of non-contentious matters on behalf of our clients. We pride ourselves on the personal and attentive service we offer to our clients, who include public and private companies, multinationals, partnerships and individuals involved in a wide range of activities, both within Hong Kong and internationally.
Our lawyers, many of whom have international law firm backgrounds, have between them, extensive experience in Hong Kong and Asia. Our understanding of the local business environment combined with our knowledge, experience and proven track record means that we add real insight and value to the business decisions you face. We have broad experience of cross-border mergers and acquisitions, having acted for large multinationals, in addition to a sound knowledge of private equity transactions.
We have built up a thorough working knowledge of PRC business entities and structures. In addition, we have secure connections and working relationships with law firms in the PRC and most other jurisdictions, evidenced by the fact that we receive frequent referrals from well-known US, European and Asian law firms.
Lawyers in our Corporate and Commercial group have extensive experience in advising on:
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Business sales and purchases
- Corporate reorganisations
- Joint ventures
- Investment and shareholders agreements
- Private Placements
- Private equity and venture capital transactions
- Due diligence
- Banking and finance
- Commercial arrangements and contracts
- Commercial leases and tenancy agreements
- Establishment of new companies and businesses
- PRC related commercial matters
- Intellectual Property protection and licensing
- Distributorship, agency and franchise arrangements
- Employment and immigration
Examples of our lawyers’ wide experience include:
- Acted for foodpanda in its acquisition of local food delivery service Dial-a-Dinner.
- Advised Equiom on the local aspects of its acquisition of AFP Global.
- Assisted the shareholders of MPayMe on the USD75 million sale of their interest in the company to Powa Technologies.
- Acting for John Brown Media Limited, the world’s leading content agency on its acquisition of a Hong Kong communications agency.
- Acting for Writer Corporation, India’s largest relocation company on its acquisition of a majority interest in a Hong Kong based relocation group (with subsidiaries in Singapore and Shanghai).
- Acting for one of the world’s largest inter-dealer brokerage firms on its proposed acquisition of a Hong Kong brokerage company.
- Acting for Hong Kong corporate services group on the disposal of its offshore wholesale corporate services business to UK based corporate services group.
- Acting for a large privately owned logistics group based in UK in connection with the establishment of a 50:50 joint venture with their long term trading partner in Hong Kong.
- Acting for the purchaser in connection with its acquisition of various trademarks and other intellectual property rights from the liquidators of a Hong Kong listed company. The trademarks and rights being acquired relate to an established global fashion brand.
- Acting for the founding shareholders on the disposal of their shares in an independent fixed income agency brokerage operating in Hong Kong and Singapore to a Hong Kong company.
Legal 500 2023
“The Tanner de Witt team are always great to work with. They have very talented lawyers, attract a fantastic calibre of clients, and are always a great bunch of people to work with.”
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
Independent Hong Kong firm Tanner De Witt handles a broad range of corporate and commercial matters. Practice head Eddie Look focuses on acquisition of shares and businesses, private equity, structuring of companies and commercial documentation. Tim Drew, who jointly heads the team, is adept at handling M&A. Jan Willem Möller was promoted to partner.
Chambers and Partners Asia 2021
What the team is known for Covers the full range of corporate and commercial matters, including investments, joint ventures and M&A transactions. Remains part of a global referral network with elite law firms, frequently handling cross-border mandates. Strong in dealing with regulatory compliance work related to corporate transactions. Additionally able to assist clients on venture capital transactions, as well as share buy-backs, subscriptions and restructurings.
Strengths An impressed client confirms the group’s reputation as “one of the best local firms in Hong Kong,” explaining: “They were proactive, they pushed me when it was appropriate to do so and they were technically strong.”
Another source offers further praise for the team: “They are all approachable, commercial and technically capable. They add value to their clients’ businesses by drawing on their deep network of contacts, and they don’t just focus on the legal aspects, they try to help their clients grow their businesses.”
Work highlights Assisted Hplus Investment with its HKD5.5 million acquisition of the entire share capital of a licensed insurance brokerage firm in Hong Kong.
Eddie Look wins praise for his handling of cross-border M&A, private equity transactions and joint ventures. An impressed client reports: “He listened carefully and patiently and gave a detailed, yet easy to comprehend analysis and solution. I have no hesitation to recommend him.”
Edmond Leung focuses his practice on multi-jurisdictional private equity and M&A and frequently acts on behalf of international conglomerates and foreign investors. He has extensive experience advising on acquisitions, divestments and corporate reorganisations.
Tim Drew has over two decades’ experience in the Hong Kong corporate market, and is considered by one source to be a “solid, and go-to” practitioner. He handles all manner of corporate and transactional mandates, including M&A, disposals and shareholders’ agreements.