Sunny Hathiramani first joined Tanner De Witt as a paralegal in 2008. He completed his Postgraduate Certificate in Laws from the City University of Hong Kong in 2010 and rejoined Tanner De Witt as a trainee solicitor shortly after. Sunny was admitted as a solicitor in Hong Kong in 2012 and was made Partner in 2019.
Sunny has extensive experience in advising on a range of insolvency and restructuring issues, in relation to both companies and individuals. He has represented clients in complex commercial, winding-up and bankruptcy disputes, advising insolvency practitioners, shareholders, creditors and debtors, including in respect of cross-border issues.
Sunny also advises and represents directors and companies in regulatory matters, including investigations by the Securities and Futures Commission and the Confederation of Insurance Brokers Disciplinary Committee.
Sunny holds a BSc (Hons) in Biomedical Sciences from King’s College London and attained his Graduate Diploma in Law from BPP Law School, London.
His most notable work includes:
- Acting for a major UK Company in resisting void disposition claims brought by the Joint and Several Liquidators;
- Acting for a group of investors in advising on the restructuring of a multi-billion dollar international company engaged in large capital infrastructure projects;
- Acting for the Trustees of an estate and successfully achieving an extension of the bankruptcy period;
- Advising the Joint and Several Trustees in relation to section 29 applications (private examination) of the Bankrupt and his spouse, and
- Acting for a subsidiary of a company listed in Hong Kong in successfully defending multiple negligence and contractual claims.
Sunny is listed in Asian Legal Business’ 2020 “40 Under 40” list of the most accomplished lawyers in Asia under 40 years old. “Sunny has many positive attributes including excellent client handling skills, strong technical skills and also a pragmatic and commercial approach to problem solving. This is critical mixture and makes him a very able advisor,” a client commented.”
Sunny Hathiramani has been selected as a next generation lawyer for our top tier Restructuring and Insolvency practice in Legal 500’s 2017, 2018, and 2019 rankings for Asia Pacific: ‘Sunny has a burgeoning reputation and is frequently involved in many of the highest-profile matters handled by the team‘. After promotion to partner in 2019, Sunny has been recognised in 2020 as a next generation partner with, “a flourishing reputation.”
- Committee Member, Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants Restructuring and Insolvency Faculty (RIF)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- South Asian Lawyers Group
- International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency and Bankruptcy Professionals
- ThoughtLeaders 4 Fraud, Insolvency, Recovery, Enforcement (FIRE)
- The Law Society of Hong Kong