Edmond has been a partner in the Corporate and Commercial Department since 2012. Edmond’s practice focuses on strategic commercial advisory, finance and corporate reorganisation matters and his clients range from sole proprietors to international banks. Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021 highlights that Edmond is one of the key lawyers in the Corporate M&A practice while Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 notes that Edmond “has extensive experience advising on acquisitions, divestments and corporate reorganisations”.
Edmond’s broad corporate and commercial practice includes advising on mergers and acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures and corporate re-organisations. He advises on the establishment of companies and businesses, franchise, agency and distribution arrangements and other commercial agreements. He advises clients operating in and out of Hong Kong with considerable experience in South East Asian jurisdictions, Singapore and Japan.
Edmond advises international banks and lenders on a wide range of banking and finance matters including secured lending, syndicated loans, acquisition finance, asset finance and receivables financing, many of which are cross border financing mandates.
Edmond advises on the establishment and structuring of a wide range of funds including private equity funds, mutual funds and hedge funds.
Edmond advises on regulatory and compliance matters including in relation to financial services. This includes advising in relation to SFC licensing, the licensing of Money Lenders and Money Service Operators, and regulation around alternative and collective investment schemes. He advises clients on matters arising from novel industries such as wine, whisky and art investment.
- Advised a property fund on the Hong Kong aspects of the reorganisation of its group of companies including drafting and completing Hong Kong law transfer/assignment related documents and finance documents relevant to the Hong Kong companies in the group.
- Advised an international pharmaceutical and laboratory equipment supplier on a business/assets acquisition from the Hong Kong subsidiary of a global manufacturer/distributor of instruments and products in the bioprocessing sector.
- Advised an international sports agency on its acquisition of the interests of the joint venture partner in a Hong Kong joint venture.
- Advised a South Africa based retail conglomerate on the Hong Kong aspects of its group reorganisation and the refinancing of its group loan facilities with a syndicate of lenders led by J.P. Morgan Securities Plc.
- Advised the arranger and lenders, a leading real estate investment and advisory firm in Australasia, in relation to the Hong Kong aspects of a number of syndicated loan facilities granted to the same borrower group for the purpose of property development in Australia.
- Advised both the junior and senior lenders on the Hong Kong aspects of an asset-based loan facility and a term loan facility of US$90m in aggregate secured over the borrower group’s business and assets.
- Advised a lender specialising in private credit markets on the Hong Kong aspects of a proposed loan facility to an art gallery headquartered in London.
- Advised a Cambodian based bank in relation to the Hong Kong aspects of a loan facility to a Cambodian company offering warehousing, consolidation centres, customer warehousing and garment handling services.
- Advised a global asset manager based in Ireland on the Hong Kong aspects of a €12m real estate financing.
- Advised the lender and arranger in relation to a loan facility secured over the business and assets of the borrower and its group companies in Hong Kong and France which included the security over the borrower group’s vineyards in Bordeaux, France.
- Advising the Provisional Liquidators of a Hong Kong-listed international steel trading group to rescue its business, including preparing its scheme of arrangement and various restructuring documentation, including cross border debt restructuring.
- Key points in the SFC Consultation Paper to amend the SFC AML Codes
- Challenging Capital Reductions by Hong Kong Companies
Chambers and Partners 2023 notes: “He is technically sound but pragmatic as well in his advice to deliver effective legal solutions.” Further, “Edmond maintains good client relations and he is very good to work with.”
Legal 500 2023 states: ‘River Stone who heads the China desk, Edmond Leung (corporate/M&A) and Eddie Look are the key practitioners in the team. They’re always very approachable and responsive and give very practical and commercially savvy advice.’
Chambers Greater China 2022 notes: Edmond Leung is “very personable, enjoyable to work with, responsive and helpful.”
Chambers Asia Pacific 2021 notes: Edmond Leung focuses his practice on multi-jurisdictional private equity and M&A and frequently acts on behalf of international conglomerates and foreign investors. He has extensive experience advising on acquisitions, divestments and corporate reorganisations.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2020 notes: Edmond Leung is active on cross-border M&A and private equity mandates, with a notable strength in the energy sector. His client roster includes investment funds, auction houses and private individuals.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2019 notes: Edmond Leung is held in high regard in the market and is regularly instructed by Hong Kong-based clients to advise on outbound investments across the Asia-Pacific region. His clients speak positively about his responsiveness.
Edmond is highly regarded in the 2018, 2019 and 2020 Legal 500 Asia Pacific Guide.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2018 notes: Edmond Leung (Band 2 Leading Lawyer) has over 15 years of experience advising clients in Hong Kong and throughout the region. He regularly works on general corporate and commercial matters, including setting up companies, joint ventures and dealing with regulatory and compliance issues.
Chambers Asia Pacific 2017 notes: Clients report that Edmond “gets work done very quickly and efficiently.” They also mention that he is “very commercial – he doesn’t over-lawyer things. He is able to think about issues from our side and give us salient advice, but not just throw the book at it.”
Edmond is recommended in Asia Pacific Legal 500 2017.
Chambers Asia 2016 notes: Edmond Leung advises Hong Kong clients on outbound investment in the wider Asian region, and also works with international corporates on their activity in Hong Kong. Clients report that he has “an ability to understand our business and what our ultimate goals are.”
Edmond is commended in Asia Pacific Legal 500 2016.
- International Bar Association
- Asia Pacific Loan Market Association
- The Law Society of Hong Kong