Veronica is a partner in our Restructuring and Insolvency department having joined the firm as a solicitor in 2015. Prior to joining Tanner De Witt, she practised at a renowned international law firm in Hong Kong. She acts and advises in a variety of bankruptcy and insolvency proceedings, including acting for liquidators, receivers, creditors and directors. Veronica acts and advises in various high-profile matters from bankruptcy to cross border insolvency matters and focuses on a variety of bankruptcy, restructuring and insolvency proceedings, including acting for liquidators, receivers, creditors and directors. She also advises and acts in general commercial litigation including shareholders’ disputes, commercial and contractual disputes and contentious intellectual property matters, in particular, trademark disputes.
As the Asia Regional Vice Director of the International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC), she is devoted to enhancing and promoting the professional status of female within the field amongst the 7 Asia Networks.
Veronica read Law at the University of Wales, Aberystwyth and completed her Legal Practice Course diploma at the College of Law, London followed by her Postgraduate Certificates in Law at the University of Hong Kong.
Although not practising PRC law, Veronica is a Mandarin speaking Hong Kong lawyer who has a strong network of contacts in Mainland China and has been dealing with various cases involving PRC elements. She speaks and writes fluently in English, Cantonese and Mandarin and can read and write both simplified and traditional Chinese.
- Acting for the liquidators (KPMG) of China City Construction (International) Co., Limited, a substantial construction company which collapsed following default of billions of RMB worth of bonds and reversals.
- Acting for the liquidators (KPMG) of Bio-Medical Engineering (HK) Limited (in creditors voluntary liquidation)
- Assisting KPMG (and now Teneo in BVI) as the liquidators for recognition in HK and to obtain mareva injunction freezing assets in Hong Kong involving shares in a company listed on HKSE in aid of BVI proceedings.
- Acted for KPMG as the liquidators of Guangdong International Trust & Investment Corporation Hong Kong (Holdings) Limited (In Creditors’ Voluntary Liquidations) (“GITIC”).
- Acted for the liquidators (KPMG) of OW Bunker China in its liquidation.
- Advised KPMG as the Hong Kong liquidators of MF Global, a major global financial derivatives broker, or commodities brokerage firm.
- Acting for the liquidators (Alverez and Marsal) for recognition in the PRC under the recently introduced Cooperation Mechanism for mutual recognition of insolvency process and office holders between the High Court of Hong Kong and the Intermediate People’s Courts in the PRC.
- Acted for the liquidators (Grant Thornton) of Dragon Spirits Ltd (“DSL”).
- Acted for the liquidators (Grant Thornton) on the liquidation of STX, one of the largest dry bulk carriers around the world.
- Acting for Shinewing Specialist Advisory Services Limited as the security agent for bondholders and the receivers and managers of the security of Kuiburi Limited and Eternal Cheerful Limited.
- Acting for Shinewing Specialist Advisory Services Limited as the receivers of certain assets of Mr Pan Sutong, ultimate owner of various cross boarder entities including Goldin Real Estate Financial Holdings Limited.
- Acting and advising on the bankruptcy of Dr. Sit Kwong Lam, the former Chairman and indirect controlling shareholder of Brightoil Petroleum (Holdings) Limited (“Brightoil”).
- Acting for a multibillion US dollar business, Micro-Pak Limited, which is the global leading supplier of anti-microbial materials in relation to its trademark registrations worldwide.
- Advised Electric Sekki Limited in its group restructuring and the liquidation of its certain entities.
The 2023 edition of Legal 500 notes, ‘Sunny Hathiramani and Veronica Chan are well connected in the Hong Kong market and add supporting firepower.’
Veronica received the IWIRC Rising Star Award in 2021 after placing as a semi-finalist in 2020.
“Veronica is one of the few solicitors who is enthusiastic and is able to deliver high-quality work on a timely manner. She has good knowledge in insolvency and cross-border matters. She has been a great support to my work. I have no hesitation in recommending her to anyone who needs legal advice and assistance in restructuring/insolvency areas.” – Client feedback
“Veronica works with our team on a number of insolvency cases, advising us as Receivers and Managers, Liquidators or Trustees-in-bankruptcy. Many of these cases involve challenging “antecedent transactions”, detailed investigations and related commercial litigation. Veronica demonstrates in-depth legal knowledge in insolvency matters and is diligent and creative in related litigation cases.” – Client feedback
“I have worked with Veronica for some 5 years now. A key strength is that she first listens attentively to what I, the client, have to say before offering her considered thoughts. As a principal, I am confident in her technical ability and am always comfortable dealing with her directly. Importantly, it is clear from her active participation with the wider insolvency & restructuring community in Asia through, for example, IWIRC, that she has a deep interest in the field. Veronica is very well respected both by clients and by the community. She has the potential to become a leader in the field.” – Client feedback
- Asia Regional Vice Director of International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL International)
- Restructuring and Insolvency Faculty (RIF)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- The Law Society of Hong Kong