Veronica Chan joined the Insolvency team of Tanner De Witt in April 2015. Veronica holds a BA (Law with Business Honours Degree) from the University of Wales, Aberystwyth and a Legal Practice Course diploma from the College of Law, London. She obtained her Postgraduate Certificate in Laws from the University of Hong Kong and qualified as a solicitor in 2009. Veronica is fluent in English, Cantonese and Mandarin and can read and write both simplified and traditional Chinese.
Veronica completed her training at a local law firm in Hong Kong. Prior to joining Tanner De Witt, Veronica practised matrimonial law at a renowned international law firm in Hong Kong. Veronica has experience across a broad range of legal practices including litigation and insolvency.
- Acting for a multibillion US dollar business which is the global leading supplier of anti-microbial materials [Micro-Pak Limited] in relation to its trademark registrations worldwide. We have also won various proceedings in relation to infringing activities that amounts to millions of US dollars in loss of business value.
- Acting and advising Dr. Sit Kwong Lam in his bankruptcy, who is the former Chairman and indirect controlling shareholder of Brightoil Petroleum (Holdings) Limited, a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, which holds various subsidiaries various jurisdictions.
- Assisting the liquidators (KPMG) to apply for recognition in HK and to obtain s21M of the High Court Ordinance mareva injunction freezing assets in Hong Kong involving shares in a company listed on HKSE in aid of BVI proceedings.
- Assisting and advising the liquidators (KPMG) of a substantial construction company involving complex issues and multiple proceedings in various jurisdictions relating to substantial real estate holdings in the US and fixed income notes listed in Hong Kong.
- Acting and advising the liquidators (KPMG) of OWBC in its liquidation. The OW Bunker group was a global marine fuel logistics business worldwide and the whole group collapsed. This matter involves complex issues relating to the collection of receivables.
- Acting and advising the liquidators (Grant Thornton) on the liquidation of STX, one of the largest drybulk carrier around the world.
- Advises Electric Sekki Limited (“ES”) in its group restructuring and the liquidation of its certain entities. ES is a fashion bureau in distribution placement and brand development in Asia and carries over 12 luxury and contemporary brands selling at various high end department stores such as Lane Crawford and retail shops as well as distributing through key markets in Asia-Pacific.
- Advised KPMG as the Hong Kong liquidators of MF Global, a major global financial derivatives broker, or commodities brokerage firm.
- Advised KPMG as the liquidators of Guangdong International Trust & Investment Corporation Hong Kong (Holdings) Limited (In Creditors’ Voluntary Liquidations) involving funds held in PRC other than in RMB for payment of dividends in that currency.
- Asia Regional Vice Director of International Women’s Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation (IWIRC)
- International Association of Restructuring, Insolvency & Bankruptcy Professionals (INSOL International)
- Restructuring and Insolvency Faculty (RIF)
- Turnaround Management Association (TMA)
- The Law Society of Hong Kong