Tara is an Associate in our Corporate and Commercial Practice having joined Tanner De Witt in September 2016 as a Trainee Solicitor. Tara is a member of the TMT team. She has experience advising on a wide range of TMT matters and documents such as data privacy, governance, and management; software licensing agreements; terms and conditions of use and service; and various commercial agreements including system integration, SaaS, development, collaboration, distribution, and supplier.
Tara has also assisted and advised on numerous venture capital transactions in respect of companies in the technology sector. She has extensive experience drafting documents and advising in respect of investment term sheets, due diligence, shareholder agreements, subscription and investment agreements, disclosure letters, and completion of investment rounds. Tara also has significant experience in financing instruments such as convertible loan notes and future equity agreements (SAFE or KISS), and in drafting equity incentive documents such as founder or shareholder vesting agreements and employee incentive schemes.
Tara also advises in respect of immigration law and prepares various types of immigration applications for our clients.
Tara graduated from McGill University in Montreal, Canada with a Bachelor of Commerce. She then moved to Hong Kong to earn her Juris Doctor (Hons) from the City University of Hong Kong. During her JD degree, Tara had the opportunity to study European Competition Law at University College, Oxford University. She earned her Postgraduate Certificate in Laws (PCLL) and graduated with Dean’s List from the City University of Hong Kong.
Tara is a native English and French speaker. She is also proficient in Spanish.
- Lead associate on Series A investment in Hong Kong headquartered, international insurtech company that provides digital solutions for leading global insurers.
- Lead associate on Series B investment in Hong Kong virtual insurer.
- Lead associate on Series B investment in a Hong Kong-based accelerator programme.
- Lead associate on Series A and Series B proptech investments, advising an international property investment group.
- Advised a venture capital firm in respect of its accelerator programme documents and various investments in early-stage startups.
- Lead associate to advise a Hong Kong university in respect of launching its incubator programme.
- Advised numerous businesses in the technology sector on the structuring of equity incentive plans, including restricted share plans, share option plans, stock appreciation rights and notional unit schemes.
- Advised on and drafted a SaaS term of service for a management consultancy software tool.
- Advised Hong Kong companies to prepare convertible loan note agreements and future equity agreements for bridge financing rounds.
Tara has given legal training sessions to numerous incubator and accelerator programmes in Hong Kong such as InnoHK at Hong Kong Science and Technology Parks (HKSTP), LEAP at HKSTP, Brinc and Betatron. These legal training sessions provide advice and tips in respect of a variety of topics such as non-disclosure agreements, how to approach investors, the venture capital investment process, and various commercial agreements.
Please click here for TDW Tech Bytes recorded by Tara:
The 2023 edition of Legal 500 states, ‘Tara Chan is very responsive, clear and direct in her advice. Clients know they can get the help they need even if there is a tight timeline.’
- The Canadian Chamber of Commerce in Hong Kong
- Women in Tech in Hong Kong
- Committee Member of Women in Law Hong Kong (WILHK)
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- The Hong Kong Football Club
- The McGill Society of Hong Kong