Tanner De Witt’s multilingual team of experienced investment funds lawyers has extensive experience advising financial institutions, investment banks, fund managers, sponsors (including development banks) and investors on the formation, registration, marketing and operation of both onshore and offshore funds. Hong Kong is a popular jurisdiction for fund formation due to its flexible and simple legal procedures; several regimes have been introduced in Hong Kong in recent years which have led to a further increase in the establishment of investment funds in Hong Kong. In addition to advising on Hong Kong-related legal issues, many of our clients have Greater China-related investment interests and require advice on complex and cross-border issues.
We advise on the establishment and structuring of a wide range of regulated funds including mutual funds and hedge funds. Our sector coverage ranges from pharmaceuticals and real estate to technology and logistics. Our lawyers are also able to advise on regulatory matters including licensing, non-contentious regulatory advice and compliance particularly in relation to the Hong Kong Stock Exchange (HKSE) and the Securities and Futures Commission (SFC). Our lawyers understand the needs of business owners and investors to structure their investment funds in a sensible way taking into account both tax, governance and security issues. The team works closely with our disputes team to advise clients on contentious regulatory matters and investigations.
The past few years have witnessed the burgeoning development of private equity (PE) funds across Asia-Pacific, in particular Hong Kong and Mainland China. PE funds have also gained popularity among high-net-worth individual investors and have become a key driver in the growth of the asset and wealth management business in Hong Kong. As the second largest PE hub in Asia, Hong Kong is well-positioned to expand its PE market. In addition, various new laws have been enacted in offshore jurisdictions increasing the costs for PE funds operating there, and encouraging them to consider the choice of moving onshore.
We advise listed and private companies and their subsidiaries, joint ventures, shareholders and high net worth individuals and investors involved in a wide range of M&A activities across a wide range of sectors.
Our investment funds lawyers have extensive experience in advising on:
- Private equity (PE), hedge, venture and real estate fund registration, formation and fundraising
- Licensing and regulatory matters
- Pre-IPO issues
- Alternative asset management
- Acquisition of fund management companies
- Redomiciliation of offshore funds
- General Partner (GP) and Limited Partner (LP) funds
- Collective investment schemes (CIS) including Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT)
- Open-ended fund company (OFC)
- Long Term Equity Fund (LTF)
- Segregated Portfolio Company (SPC)
- Exempted Limited Partnership (ELP)
- Advising Infinity Group, a leading PRC-based asset management group, on the formation of its USD20 million offshore Southeast Asia-focused TMT fund.
- Advised on the fund formation and financing for a seed venture capital fund targeting investments in Asia and Europe.
- Advising one of the largest SOEs in the Shandong province of China on the establishment of a USD300 million SPC fund in Cayman Islands.
- Advised on Hong Kong regulation for structuring of onshore and offshore activities according to regulatory needs for a crypto trading fund.
- Advised offshore funds on the offering of the funds in Hong Kong on a private basis.
- Assisted a French PE fund in acquiring 51% shares of a Hong Kong company which owns a chemical factory in PRC for a consideration of USD 5.5 million.
- Advising and assisted a leading French private equity fund on its sale and purchase of equity interest in a leading PRC pharmaceutical & chemical product manufacturer.
- Advising a world leading luxury property fund in their private placement and relevant regulatory issues in Hong Kong.