Alan is an Associate in the Corporate and Commercial practice. He qualified as a solicitor in England and Wales in 2017 and in Hong Kong in 2021.
Alan’s practice involves advising clients on mergers and acquisitions, private equity transactions, the establishment of businesses and joint ventures and banking and financing matters. He also regularly advises on regulatory and compliance matters, in particular clients in the technology and blockchain industry, and has worked on many token issuance projects (acting for issuers, cryptocurrency exchanges, distributors and advisors of ICOs, IEOs and STOs).
Alan is fluent in spoken and written English, Cantonese and Mandarin, and can read and write Chinese.
- Advised a metaverse company in its Series A and B equity rounds with an aggregate investment size of US$90,000,000, which involved advising on financial assistance, share buyback and implementation of employee share option plan.
- Assisted a technology company that researches and manufactures novel chips with its Series Pre-A equity round with an investment size of US$11,000,000.
- Advised and assisted the buyer in its acquisition of a US private business that operates an online influencers platform with a significant user base in the PRC.
- Provided regulatory and compliance advice to a business in its innovative buy-now-pay-later platform that covers the Money Lenders Ordinance, money service operator regulation and anti-money laundering and counter-terrorist financing regulations under the Anti-Money Laundering and Counter-Terrorist Financing Ordinance and the Payment System and Stored-Value Facility Ordinance.
- Assisted an investment bank in its private equity projects in respect of companies that are in their pre-IPO phase.
- Assisted and advised security agents, lenders and borrowers on the Hong Kong aspects in relation to different loan facilities for the sums up to US$100,000,000 secured over the borrowers’ or obligors’ assets in Hong Kong.
- Assisted a sports streaming platform in the PRC in respect of the termination of its Hong Kong subsidiary.
- Provided regulatory advice in respect of the marketing of immigration linked investment schemes arranged by an Irish company for Hong Kong investors.
- Provided regulatory and compliance advice to a Hong Kong company in respect of its services to licensed online gambling websites under the Gambling Ordinance.
- Assisted a Hong Kong company in the structuring and formation of its token grant scheme that deals with the company’s distributions of profits in cryptocurrencies to its shareholders.
- Advised one of the largest digital asset financial services groups in establishing its business of over-the-counter trading for cryptocurrencies in Hong Kong and in relation to its proposed bitcoin structured product.
- Advised one of the largest cryptocurrency exchanges in the world in relation to its payment gateway services.
- Assisted a Hong Kong company in organising and launching a virtual three-day summit in respect of the gaming, art, music, non-fungible tokens and tech industry.
- Drafted and reviewed various commercial documents, including but not limited to service agreements, sales and purchase agreements, referral agreements, distribution agreements.
- Advised investors and investees in relation to an equity or debt financing arrangement.
- Opined on clients’ business practice from a securities law perspective.
- Provided financial regulatory advices to clients.
- Advised and structured digital asset offerings, including ICOs, IEOs and STOs.
- The Law Society of Hong Kong
- The Law Society of England and Wales