Tanner De Witt’s Litigation team combines insightful and thorough legal analysis with a practical approach so we can resolve disputes promptly with minimum disruption to commercial relationships.
Our experience in commercial litigation and dispute resolution procedures enables our lawyers to deal effectively with disputes in the various courts and tribunals of Hong Kong. We also advise on domestic and international arbitrations and conduct cases before various specialised tribunals and professional associations in Hong Kong.
Our commercial litigators act on a wide variety of cases, many of which have involved landmark decisions. We handle a wide range of commercial and business-related disputes, including:
- Breach of contract and negligence
- Commercial conspiracy and fraud
- Debt recovery
- Family and matrimonial
- Injunction proceedings
- International trade
- Joint venture and franchise disputes
- Judicial review
- Landlord and tenant
- Shareholder disputes
- Professional negligence
- Restructuring and Insolvency
- Sale of goods and services
Our lawyers’ wide experience includes:
- An application for judicial review of the Securities and Futures Commission’s refusal to investigate complaint lodged against a Hong Kong listed company;
- Advising the Hong Kong Institute of Certified Public Accountants on disciplinary proceedings against a prominent accounting firm;
- As part of its regulatory and white collar crime work, the department is acting on an international money laundering case involving the authorities in Australia and in Hong Kong;
- The litigation department has a developing focus on minority shareholder protection which has resulted in a number of winding-up petitions based upon just and equitable grounds, including for a prominent Hong Kong toy manufacturer;
- The firm is acting on a number of disputes concerning quoted companies and intra-family disputes where typically the second or third generation of an entrepreneur’s family claims different entitlements in the entrepreneur’s estate; and
- Applying for and obtaining injunctive relief, including “springboard” injunctions, in respect of claims for breach of confidence, breach of fiduciary duty and breach of restrictive covenants, arising out of the whole-scale clandestine removal of the entire workforce of a business in Hong Kong owned by a group in the UK.
Chambers and Partners 2023
“Tanner De Witt always offers exemplary levels of service and is one of our go-to Hong Kong firms. They are always commercial and responsive.”
“The firm was always ready with documents and advice and the team all worked well together.”
“The team are all very capable and articulate and offer immediate responses, even when on holiday. They are also aware of latest events and case law that will have an impact on the matters at hand.”
Legal 500 2023
‘I have been impressed by Tanner De Witt’s thorough approach to every litigation matter I have worked on with them. They also have excellent relations with attorneys located in many other jurisdictions that gives them tremendous depth to address complex cross-border issues.’
Tanner De Witt is a highly sophisticated complex litigation firm in my experience and because they are independent they are more flexible than many of their competitors. The have a really good understanding of Hong Kong and the wider region and are staffed with experienced, diligent and careful associates.’
The team provides responsive, very sensible and commercial advice.’
‘The team is strong in disputes where there are allegations of serious wrongdoing and in applying for or responding to injunctive relief. They are also commercially sensible when it comes to pricing and are collegiate in the way that they work.’
Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2021
The team at Tanner De Witt provides ‘responsive, commercial, measured and sensible advice‘ on insolvency-related disputes, high-value commercial litigation, and complex shareholder disputes, among other areas. Jeff Lane and Pamela Mak lead the practice.
Chambers and Partners Asia 2021
Respected, independent Hong Kong firm, acknowledged for its broad commercial disputes offering. Areas of expertise include professional negligence claims, shareholder disputes, debt and asset recovery, fraud, and contentious trusts and probate. Often acts for clients in the financial services sector, international investors and high net worth individuals and families.
Strengths A market source comments on the team’s “formidable line-up,” noting that it has “extraordinary strength in depth.”
Another commentator considers it a “really solid litigation house with a lot of capable operators.”
Jeff Lane is well versed in fraud claims and various tracing and recovery actions. He is also experienced with cyber-fraud claims.
Pamela Mak is co-head of the firm’s China practice group and wins praise from a source who describes her as a “young partner who is on the way up.” She often acts on contentious probate cases, as well as shareholder disputes and asset tracing and recovery.