Joanne Brown now an accredited HKMAAL Family Mediator23Sep2020
We are delighted to announce that Joanne Brown, Partner and Head of the Family department, is now accredited by the Hong Kong Mediation Accreditation Association Limited (HKMAAL) as a Family Mediator.
What is Mediation?
“Mediation is a flexible process conducted confidentially in which a neutral person actively assists parties in working towards a negotiated agreement of a dispute or difference, with the parties in ultimate control of the decision to settle and the terms of resolution”
- Mediation is an inexpensive and more efficient way to resolve disputes. It allows people involved in conflict to talk freely and openly in a confidential environment
- Mediation is informal and allows parties to have their say
- Mediation is held in private and you can choose your mediator.
- Mediation is voluntary, but refusal to mediate can give rise to cost sanctions in court proceedings.
- Courts actively encourage parties to consider mediation.
- Parties can mediate at any stage before or during proceedings.
- Mediation is confidential and ‘without prejudice’ (nothing said in the mediation is admissible as evidence in legal proceedings).
- Any settlement reached is legally binding once put into writing and signed by the parties.
For potentially high conflict disputes such as divorces and children’s matters, an accredited Family Mediator will manage the process for both parties and assist to avoid costly and prolonged litigation.
To learn more about Family mediation, please contact Joanne Brown directly.