Validity and need for registration of foreign marriage in Hong Kong

When people speak of a white wedding, they used to mean the colour of the bride’s dress.  Now they are just as likely to be talking about the colour of the sand on the exotic beach where the ceremony was held.

A survey has claimed that almost one in eight of all Hong Kong couples who marry have their wedding abroad.

But is a foreign marriage valid in Hong Kong?  If so, can you register yours in Hong Kong?

Validity of foreign marriage in Hong Kong

For a marriage celebrated outside Hong Kong to be recognised by Hong Kong courts, it must be essentially and formally valid.

Essential validity means that you and your spouse had capacity to marry and did consent to the marriage in accordance with the law of your and your spouse’s domicile before the marriage.

If you have been living in Hong Kong and intend to make Hong Kong your home for the foreseeable future, your domicile is Hong Kong.  Accordingly the essential validity of your marriage is governed by Hong Kong law.

For a marriage to be essentially valid under Hong Kong law you and your spouse must consent to marry, be of sufficient age to give full and free consent (i.e. at least 16 years old).  Neither party can be a party to an existing marriage and cannot be within the prohibited degrees of relationships, that is closely related.

Formal validity means that the marriage was performed in accordance with the law of the country where it was celebrated.  Failure to follow the formalities of marriage applicable there will result in the marriage being deemed a nullity.   Formalities differ greatly among countries.

Need to register a foreign marriage in Hong Kong

You will only be able to register your marriage in Hong Kong with the Registrar of Marriages if you are married here.

It is not necessary to register overseas marriages with the Registrar of Marriages in Hong Kong when you come to live here.  If you come to Hong Kong single and later married all you need to do is to inform the Immigration Department of your change in marital status by filling in a Form ROP 18, which can be downloaded through the following link:-

Divorce law in Hong Kong not dependent on place of marriage

It is not correct that you can divorce only in the jurisdiction where you married.  For Hong Kong divorce law to apply to your marriage, where the marriage took place is not the deciding factor.  The circumstances of the parties immediately before the divorce are key.

Here is a link to another note from Tanner De Witt which explores whether you can divorce in Hong Kong: Jurisdiction of divorce; what is the situation in Hong Kong?

Joanne Brown

The above is not intended to be relied on as legal advice and specific legal advice should be sought at all times in relation to the above.

If you have enquiries about the validity of your foreign marriage please contact:

Joanne Brown
Partner | Email

Disclaimer: This publication is general in nature and is not intended to constitute legal advice. You should seek professional advice before taking any action in relation to the matters dealt with in this publication.


与泰德威律师事务所在电邮沟通之前(或通过其他方式), 请阅读此连结內的免责声明及此连结內的隐私政策。免责声明和隐私政策亦列于本网站的注脚內。 在您收到我们的书面声明确认我们将代表您处理该案件之前,您不应向我们发送任何有关该案件的机密资料。 于我们接受代理该案件后, 我们将接受您发送有关该案件的机密资料, 之后我们可以亳无障碍地交换机密资料。 感谢您对泰德威律师事务所的关注。


Please note:

Before you contact Tanner De Witt by email (or otherwise), please read the Disclaimer at this link. and our Privacy Policy at this link. The Disclaimer and Privacy Policy is also at the footer of this website. Until we have informed you in writing that we represent you as a client you should not send us any confidential information. We will only accept your confidential information when we confirm we represent you as a client, and then we can exchange confidential information freely. Thank you for your interest in Tanner De Witt.

Disclaimer and Privacy Policy