Senior Arbitration / Construction Arbitration Lawyer (8-15 PQE)09Apr2020
Please note: This role has been filled.
Tanner De Witt is looking for an experienced Arbitration Lawyer to assist in building and leading an Arbitration practice within its Hong Kong office. The firm has a critical mass of existing Arbitration work and attracts work through its international referral network. The Partnership will also provide further resources and assistance in in building this practice area, including attending relevant international conferences, marketing and attracting further Arbitration work.
Suitable candidates will have 8 to 15 years PQE and a track record in Arbitration work, and ideally have an existing Arbitration client base to bring with them to add to and augment the existing practice. This role provides a clear path to Partnership.
We seek colleagues who are not only known in their industry for their work and well regarded by their clients but are additionally an active presence in the Hong Kong community.
Further, if you enjoy mentoring junior lawyers and seeing them develop their talent into being exceptional professional advisors, and people, then you will excel here.
If the above interests you, please contact Brianna Jordan, assistant to Partner Pamela Mak at 852 2573 5000 or by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Further role details
Tanner De Witt is engaged on arbitrations administered by: Hong Kong International Arbitration Centre (HKIAC), China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission (CIETAC), International Chamber of Commerce (ICC), London Maritime Arbitrators Association (LMAA), the core legal body of the UN system in the field of international trade law, United Nations Commission on International Trade Law (UNCITRAL) and others. Partners undertaking arbitration work include:
Our arbitration matters include:
- Advised a claimant in an arbitration in Hong Kong for enforcement of a personal guarantee in relation to a share purchase agreement. Asset freezing injunction and receivership applications in Hong Kong, Singapore and the British Virgin Islands were involved in aid of the arbitration;
- Represented the claimant (who is an individual in the gambling industry) in an ICC arbitration;
- Acted for the client of a stockbroker in a contract dispute before the HKIAC;
- Acted for a Dutch IT services company in a dispute concerning a non-competition clause. This is an HKIAC arbitration case;
- Represented an international jewellery brand in a multi jurisdiction arbitration concerning a franchise agreement;
- Acted for two major international banks involved in an arbitration between a UK-based private equity firm and a well-known hospitality group in China;
- Represented a major offshore investor in an arbitration in Hong Kong against another offshore company for breach of shareholders’ and note holders’ agreement concerning US$20 million;
- Acted for the claimant in an HKIAC arbitration in claiming against a brokerage firm for unauthorized withdrawals of funds in breach of mandate;
- Acted for the claimant in an arbitration in Hong Kong governed by New York laws involving complex issues of funds;
- Acted for the respondent in an arbitration in Hong Kong relating to a service agreement about provision of multimedia services and a debt conversion agreement;
- Acted for a prominent Hong Kong based construction company in an arbitration with its employer in construction disputes;
- Assisted in applying for interlocutory measures in Hong Kong courts in aid of the arbitration in fear that any award obtained by the London team in the arbitration might remain unsatisfied;
- Acted for the respondent with counterclaims in an ICC arbitration relating to a breach of a sale of goods agreement.
- Acting in a syndicate arbitration under the auspices of the Stewards of the HKJC.
Careers at Tanner De Witt Solicitors
With around 100 lawyers and support staff from Hong Kong, China, England, Wales, Australia, Netherlands, New Zealand, Philippines, Nepal, India and Canada, we have a multicultural, friendly and relaxed office environment and we highly value personal and professional relationships.
Tanner De Witt’s five main practice areas are ranked highly by international publications such as Chambers & Partners, Legal 500 IFLR1000 and Doyles. In 2015 Tanner De Witt enjoyed band 1 rankings in Chambers & Partners for Restructuring and Insolvency and Employment with all relevant partners achieving leading lawyer status. Tanner De Witt was also chosen as one of the world’s top 250 leading firms by Intercontinental Finance and as a National Firm of the Year by Chambers & Partners 2015. Our family practice was recently recommended by the Doyles Guide to Family Practitioners of Hong Kong and we also secured the top spot in the China Business Law Awards for Restructuring and Insolvency.
It is an exciting time to be part of our law firm. We are increasingly receiving recognition, accolades, and instructions from many sections of the community in Hong Kong as well as from our peers in the legal profession.
Please note: This role has been filled.